Saturday, October 3, 2015

Deer String Art


First put a couple layers of polyurethane on your peice of wood. Just follow the directions on the can. I used the small size and only used about half the can. I got it at home depot in the stain section.


This is the string that I used. I got it at a craft store.


These are the nails that I used. I bought these at home depot.


String Process: Print out an outline and tape it to the board. Hammer in the nails, I found holding the nails with pliers really helps keep them straight. Try to get a nail at all of the curves and edges and space the nails somewhat even. Double tie the string to a nail and then string it around the outside. I only did this once and felt like it was not enough at the end so I did another one then, so I would recommend going around the outside twice. Make sure you keep the string tight the whole time. Then you pretty much go all over the place between nails. Some people do a pattern with theirs but since mine is such an odd shape I decided not to. 

Comments:
Start the polyurethane way earlier then when you decide to do the nail and strings. Doing a couple layers on the front and back and drying times took a week.
 It would be cool to do different colors of strings and fade them in and out.
Possibly color the head of the nails would look cool. 






1 comment: